Dealer License Application Process
Any person who is engaged in the business of buying, selling or exchanging motor vehicles or otherwise engaging in business as a dealer, directly or indirectly, including by consignment, must apply for and receive a general distinguishing number issued by the Motor Vehicle Division. This is commonly referred to as the "GDN." A person who wants to sell new motor vehicles must acquire a franchised dealer license from the Motor Vehicle Division in addition to the GDN.
How the Application Process Works
Each license type has an information packet that walks you through the application and describes all documentation necessary to apply for that license type.
- Once the application is received, first it goes through finance and your payment is processed. The Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts processes checks and money orders. TxDMV Motor Vehicle Division processes credit card payments. NOTE: A license is not approved when the fees have been processed; this is just the first step towards approval.
- Applications are then scanned into the licensing system and given a Work Item Number.
- The licensing system then emails a confirmation to you providing the work item number and some other basic information.
- Licensing specialists review applications approve the information submitted or write deficiencies if more information is needed.
- If there are any deficiencies, the licensing specialist contacts the applicant to ask for more information.
- Phone and/or email will be attempted before mailing a list of items to be corrected.
- Please correct any deficiencies (errors) and return the appropriate documentation.
- Once the license is approved, it is printed and mailed (along with your dealer plates, if any) to the Texas mailing address listed on your GDN application.
Please give us a good contact phone number on new applications, amendments, and renewals. It will save time and help us contact you if we need more information to approve your request.
Review your documents before sending them to save time.
If you are uncertain about the completeness of your application for any reason, call and speak to a Licensing Specialist before submission. Please check that:
- The bond dates, names, and address are entered correctly.
- The bond is signed.
- The bond is included on renewals.
- POA accompanies all bonds or bond riders.
- Personal information and Photo ID are included.
- You have obtained your DBA certificate from the correct office