Making eTags Work for You
The eTag system was developed so that it could be readily used in a typical business environment that uses a Windows-based operating system, the most commonly used Web browser, and high-speed broadband (DSL) or cable internet connections. While it is possible to vary from these standards somewhat, for your convenience, we have spelled out the optimal hardware and software environment for dealers below. Hardware and Software to Optimize eTag Performance
- Internet connection: High-speed broadband (DSL) or cable. (Note: Dial-up and slow broadband connections put you in the slow lane and will require patience.)
- Computer: Windows Intel Pentium® III or faster (or equivalent processor) with a minimum of 512mb of memory
- Operating system: Windows XP with Service Pack 2, Vista, or Windows 7
- Browser: Internet Explorer 7.0 or higher (The download is available free at http://www.microsoft.com/windows/downloads/ie/getitnow.mspx )
- If you prefer Apple® computers, use Mozilla Firefox® as your browser to access the eTag Database.
- Printer: Any printer supported by the Windows XP, Vista, or Windows 7 operating systems, but laser will produce the highest quality.
- Software: Adobe Reader 8 or higher. You must have Adobe Acrobat® Reader installed on your computer. You can visit Adobe's website to install the latest version of the Adobe Reader for free. Uncheck the box next to “Free Google Toolbar” then click “Download Now” to begin the download. When the download is complete, follow the screen instructions to install Adobe Reader. Please double check the System Requirements section to see if your computer is compliant with Adobe Reader V 8.0 or higher.
Where to Log In
Login to eTag
Usernames and Passwords
When a dealer license is approved, a user name and password are sent to the email address you provided in the application.
If you need to reset or change your username or password, please use the E-Tags Change Form.
All dealers with eTag accounts and all new dealers are automatically subscribed to a mailing list for eTag Updates. Important messages, including eTags status, are relayed to all dealers on our mailing list.
These updates are distributed to authorized dealers through email and you should check your email regularly for new messages.
Please remember that this list is only as good as the email address you provide when you create your account.
This list is owned exclusively by TxDMV and will not be sold or used by anyone for any purposes other than the distribution MVD or VTR related information.
Access to the E-Tags database
Only current, GDN licensees and Converters can access the Dealer eTag application.
Unless a dealer is careless with his username and password, no unlicensed entities will be able to obtain a system generated number.
Multiple user accounts
The dealer’s primary eTags user will have the ability to act as system administrator for the dealer.
He/she may create, delete, change or reset additional usernames and passwords for your location, so dealers may allow more employees to issue eTags.
Visibility of records
Only state agency personnel will have access to records.
Licensees can only view their own entries into the database.
Only dealership personnel with a dealer issued username and password will be able to access your records.