skip to main content

registration renewal e-reminder address change specialty plates temporary permits vehicle-transit vehicle transfer notification title check

Bought a Vehicle Without A Title?

If you receive incomplete or incorrect evidence of ownership or have lost the evidence of ownership and cannot contact the seller for the necessary documentation, you may have the option of using the bonded title procedure to transfer of ownership. Here are the steps to do so.

1- Determine Your Eligibility

In order to qualify, you must be:

  • a Texas resident, or
  • Military personnel stationed in Texas, or
  • Have a vehicle that was last titled in Texas.

The vehicle must be in your possession and cannot be considered abandoned, junked, stolen, or in any other pending lawsuits. Although not required to be operational, it must be a complete vehicle including a frame, body and motor or if a motorcycle, a frame and motor.

If you meet the above eligibility requirements you may take or mail the following documents and a $15.00 administrative fee to the nearest TxDMV Regional Service Center:

  • A Statement of Fact for Bonded Title (Form VTR-130-SOF)
  • Any supporting evidence of ownership (Bill of Sale, Invoice, Cancelled Check, etc.)
  • Acceptable photo ID

Out of State Vehicles

If the applicant is a Texas resident, but the evidence indicates that the vehicle is an out-of-state vehicle, the vehicle identification number must be verified by a Texas certified Safety Inspection Station (Vehicle Inspection Report).

Upon Approval

If your documents are approved, you will be issued a letter stating the amount of the bond equal to 1½ times the value of the vehicle. The department will determine the value of the vehicle using:

  • The Standard Presumptive Value (SPV) from our web site as the primary source
  • If a SPV is not available, National Auto Dealers Association (NADA) reference guide will be used, or
  • If a value is not available either through SPV or NADA, a licensed motor vehicle dealer or insurance adjuster may appraise the vehicle on a form provided by TxDMV (Form VTR-125).

For Vehicles 25 Years Old or Older

  • TxDMV will determine and assign the bond value
  • Appraisals less than $4,000 will not be accepted

2- Purchase a Surety Bond

Take the letter and other documents given to you by the TxDMV Regional Service Center to an auto insurance agency or any agency that is licensed to sell vehicle Surety Bonds in Texas.

You have one year from the date of the letter to purchase a Surety Bond in the amount shown on the letter, otherwise a new letter and bond will be required.

Note: If records indicate that the vehicle has a lien that is less than 10 years old, the surety bonding company is responsible for ensuring that the lien has been satisfied or released.

3- Apply for a Bonded Title

Within 30 days of purchasing the surety bond, take the original letter given to you by the Regional Service Center and the documents listed in Step 1, to your county tax office, in addition to:

  • Completed Application for Texas Title and/or Registration (Form 130-U)
  • If previously titled out-of-state: Vehicle Identification Report (VIR), completed by an authorized Safety Inspection Station
  • If commercial vehicle or truck: weight certificate
  • If the vehicle is imported: Customs Document (US DOT HS-7), available on the US Customs website.

Form 130-U

Copyright © 2018 Texas Department of Motor Vehicles. All rights reserved. - 4000 Jackson Ave, Austin, TX 78731