Toll-Free Phone Number
1 (888) DMV-GOTX or
1 (888) 368-4689
Local Phone Number
Fax: (512) 465-4129
Monday - Friday
8:00am - 5:00pm
- Discuss, assist and resolve your issue by phone.
- If additional research is necessary, we will reply to you within 3 business days.
|Licensing/Salvage Information||(888) 368-4689 or (512) 465-3000|
|eTAG Helpline||(512) 465-4010|
|Dealer Licensing Receptionist||(512) 465-4029|
|Enforcement Division Administrative Staff||(512) 465-4204, Fax: (512) 465-5650|
|Motor Vehicle Investigations||(512) 465-4205, Fax: (512) 465-5651|
|Motor Carrier Investigations||(512) 465-4207, Fax: (512) 465-5652|
|OverSize/OverWeight Investigations||(512) 465-4032, Fax: (512) 465-5652|
|Lemon Law||(888) 368-4689 or (512) 465-3000|
|Dealer Enforcement/Training||(888) 368-4689 or (512) 465-3000|
|Automobile Burglary and Theft Prevention Authority (ABTPA)||(512) 465-1485|
|Office of Administrative Hearings||(512) 465-5000|
|Media Inquiries||(512) 465-1484|
|Specialty License Plates (including Military)||(512) 374-5010|
Texas Department of Motor Vehicles (TxDMV)
4000 Jackson Avenue
Austin, Texas 78731
- First and last name
- Return mailing address
- Vehicle information (vehicle identification number or license plate)
- Telephone number
- Email address
- Detailed description of your comment or concern (background information) and explain how we can assist you
- For dealers, provide your dealer license number and/or work item number
Tell us how we are doing!
- We are committed to continually improving our service to you.
- Your feedback is vital to our mission of providing exceptional customer service.
- If you have a suggestion, complaint, or even a compliment, we would love to hear from you.
Click the button below to begin!
We investigate complaints against vehicle dealers licensed to sell vehicles in Texas. You can file a complaint whether you are a consumer or a vehicle dealer. For additional information or assistance with enforcement actions, call us at (888) 368-4689 or (512) 465-4204.
Complaints Against Vehicle Dealers
If you have a complaint about a dealer's sales practices, please follow the steps below:
- For the fastest processing of your complaint, go to the Motor Vehicle Dealer Online Complaint System:
- Following the directions, provide a copy of the sales contract and other documents you may have received from the dealer. For advertising complaints, please provide a copy of the advertisement.
- If we find evidence of a violation of the laws we enforce we may initiate administrative action in the name of the TxDMV against the person or entity. Please be advised that any civil penalty collected by the TxDMV is credited to a specified state fund. The Texas Department of Motor Vehicles cannot pursue a private claim for damages on your behalf. You may have civil claims against the dealer or person you are complaining about that are separate and apart from our administrative action. We encourage you to seek private legal counsel to assist you in determining your rights, time limits to file civil claims and other options in this matter.
- Should you have trouble filing, please contact us at (888) 368-4689.
- If you continue to have issues filing your complaint with the Motor Vehicle Dealer Online Complaint System, please download and complete the Motor Vehicle Dealer Complaint Form:
Complaints About Defective Vehicles
If your complaint is about a defective vehicle, you may be able to receive assistance through the Texas Lemon Law.
Complaints Against a Motor Carrier
You may submit your complaint against a motor carrier (i.e.- trucking company, moving company or bus company) using our online system. You will be notified via email when the case has been accepted.